Sex-Related Charges In Kitchener-Waterloo
Even the most “minor” sexual offence is not minor. Because of the stigma of sex crimes, even being accused can lead to severe consequences, including consequences in your personal life and career.
At Darwin R. Witmer Criminal Law, I know that there are enough people who are suspicious of you or who assume you’re guilty just because you’ve been charged.
I will not.
Discussing Your Charge
When you come to my office, I will listen to your side of the story. Depending on your charges, we may also discuss:
- “Minor” offences: These include charges like indecent exposure or voyeurism. We will discuss the circumstances of your case, as well as the likely consequences and possible consequences of pleading guilty. If applicable we may also look at treatment options.
- Date rape: Often charges of this nature can come down to witness testimony. If alcohol or drugs were involved, this could also affect the evidence as well as the consequences you may be facing.
- Sexual assault trials: These trials sometimes can be very long, and may involve a great deal of eyewitness testimony that may be difficult to face. They can often pit friends and family against each other, and may end up bringing you unwanted publicity as well. We will also discuss my record of success with cases I have taken to trial.
- Aggravating factors: We will discuss the seriousness of a charge that includes weapons, bodily harm, domestic assault, or victims who are young or vulnerable in some way.
- Consequences: If you are convicted or plead guilty, the consequences may include having to register as a sex offender. We will discuss what this will mean in terms of your future ability to get a job, live where you want to live, and travel.