Charged With Impaired Driving/DUI In Kitchener-Waterloo?

An impaired driving charge has an immediate effect on your life. If you are impaired by alcohol, or refuse to provide a breath sample, your license will be immediately suspended, and you will suddenly be left with little or no mobility.

Don’t panic. Your situation is serious, but if you get legal help right away you may have more options than you think.

Looking Closely At Your Case

Depending on your circumstances and what happens during your arrest, there may be many ways to deal with your charge, including:

  • Interlock: If your priority is to get back on the road as soon as possible, and you don’t have a previous record, you may want to take advantage of the Interlock program. You will plead guilty, get a device installed in your car that will prevent you from driving if you have alcohol in your system, and get back to driving fairly quickly.
  • Challenging your stop or arrest: If you are stopped for no reason, if you are not fully informed about your rights, or if other procedural irregularities happen, I may be able to use those mistakes on your behalf.
  • Challenging the evidence: There may have been a number of problems with the evidence gathered against you. Machines to measure drugs and alcohol (sometimes called Breathalysers or Intoxilizers), and the technicians who run them, are not 100 percent reliable. We may require the assistance of experts to run a case based on a breath machine challenge or other technical matters, but if keeping your record clear is important to you, I am prepared to do it.

Many people take advantage of the Interlock program, especially if their livelihood depends on driving. However, the program can be expensive and the long-term consequences of pleading guilty can be serious. If you want to fight your charge, you will get the best results with a lawyer who has experience going to trial on these matters.

I have focused much of my experience on impaired driving challenges. I can help you.

Contact Darwin R. Witmer Criminal Law

If you have been charged with impaired driving of any kind in Kitchener-Waterloo or surrounding areas, call my office at 519-804-9846 or fill out my online form.

Contact Us now.